Sunday, October 5, 2008

Looking For Peter Mehlman, serialized, Pt. 2

11:00am
Buoyed by the fact I live in a city with one of the greatest libraries in the world, and grateful for an opportunity to side-step any actual writing of my own, I head jauntily out the door of my building, when - bam! I'm flattened by a sixty-something, ipod-wearing roller-blader. "Sorry!" he yells back to me. "No problem" I respond, noting yet another example of the under-reported courtesy New Yorkers consistently offer after nearly killing someone. Up on my one good leg, and about to retrieve my backpack, I watched the grey-haired figure recede, marveling at the eclectic variety of personalities the city spawns when - squash! My backpack is neatly bisected by the wheel of a hurtling bike messenger whose sleek, aerodynamic helmet makes one wonder about the shape of the head inside. "Watch it you idiot!", he suggests, advising me, in his way, that the streets of the city can be dangerous if one is not wary. Grateful for the reminder and not entirely sure he was unarmed, I shout back "Thanks!" with not a trace of sarcasm.

11:15am
Looking for somewhere a little safer, I head to the subway: down the stairs and toward the token booth. A small line has formed, and I arrive just as the electronic beep begins to sound: the train is on its way. Those in line look anxiously over their shoulders at the tracks. From the distance, we hear the click-clacking, bad horse-gallop sound effects that signal the near arrival of a train, just as I reach the front of the line and put my $20 down.

"What?" the clerk asks.

The man behind me groans, "Oh, c'mon." His immediate future, along with those of the rest of the line, is in my hands and we can all hear the train sliding in and squealing to a halt.

"One."
"One what?"
"One fun pass."

(I feel ridiculous even as I say it down here in this place that is so far from "fun" it may as well be Hades.) The guy behind me suggests helpfully: "Hurry the f- up!" Obligingly I do, predictably I drop my change and my quarters roll under the token booth, just as we hear the hissing of the doors opening behind us and the rumble of passengers tumbling out. I bend down quickly, and the man behind me straddles my head as he leans in to the agent. From my crouched position, I look up and I'm in a Rugby scrum: there's a canopy of hands above me, moving en masse toward the token booth. Down below, I crab-walk toward the turnstiles to avoid being trampled, but it's too late. A loud hissing and screeching marks the departure of the train.

The train itself makes noises too.

(continued tomorrow)

No comments: