Friday, October 10, 2008

Looking For Peter Mehlman, serialized, Pt. 5

4:31pm:
I stand, sling my backpack jauntily over my shoulder and then freeze, as I realize that I never closed my change purse and that loud, Vegas-slot-machine clanging and rolling and loose-metal-hitting-tile sound is coming from me. The actors in the room (of which there must be dozens, this being New York City) must truly envy me now, because all heads are turned my way and all eyes are on me. This would be a great time to break into song. Trouble is, I don't know any songs and I can't really sing. So, feeling the bad kind of deja-vu, I find myself back on my knees, picking up nickels.

4:34pm:
Clutching the treasured article to my breast, I quickly find the Xerox machine, which, in this new millennium, no longer takes coins. It needs a card of some sort which one can find only in another room (far, far away), at the end of another line. I'm learning the ropes of the Library Universe, a microcosm of the City where things, good or bad, come to those who wait at the end of interminably long lines.

4:50pm
Repeat line experience from 12:20pm. Now, instead of a pencil, I have a "copy card", the equivalent for a Library patron of a backstage pass to an Elton John concert. Eager to get this over with and now, of all times, overwhelmed by an irresistible urge to write, I swipe the card on the copier, slip the original into the copy machine's maw, make the copy, return the original, stuff the Xerox in my back pack and run.

5:50pm:
Home! Where a writer ought to be. Where, if I had been this day, I might have something to show for these past six hours.

And as I empty my backpack onto the desk next to my closed laptop, it slowly dawns on me that if I had spent the last six hours writing – doing my own work - instead of looking for some other writer’s work, I might have the jump on my play, a really profound and touching piece about a woman who owns just one cat too many. But here it is, dusk, and once again when someone asks me how it’s going, I’m going to have to answer, “Well, the big news is that I decided to move the page numbers up to the upper right hand corner from the bottom of the page and I feel like the rest is just going to be smooth sailing.” There’s nothing worse to a writer than that empty feeling of not having written.

I guess when they say if you want to be a writer you’ve got to write, they’re, well, right.

But wait! I do have something to show. I have the Mehlman article! I did research today, and research is intrinsic to the writing process! It’s actually almost writing! I realize that instead of berating myself I should be patting myself on the back. This document is going to help me, inspire me, teach me the true definition of compelling.

I pour myself a glass of wine, sit myself down, unfold the article and... I turn over the piece of paper to its front side. I turn it over again. The article seems to have two backs. No front. I've Xeroxed nothing. I've paid to copy a white sheet onto another white sheet resulting in two white sheets. I look up at my ceiling in time to see a little drop of water forming at the far corner.

5:59pm
Just under the water droplet, my eye is drawn to my bookshelf, where I notice a book listing the names of Writer's Guild members. I look up Peter Mehlman and find the name of his agent. The agent seems to be St. Peter at the Gates in this particular world. I write up a letter describing my day, seal it in an envelope and mail it. To the agent.

No comments: